Re: [Savannah-hackers] java-gnome

From: Jaime E. Villate
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] java-gnome
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 16:08:57 +0000

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 01:33:01PM +0000, Nic Ferrier wrote:
> Some time ago Jeffery Morgan submitted his Java-Gnome project to the
> GNU project for inclusion. I believe I remember seeing his project as
> a submission on savannah (don't know how to check for that, sorry).
You find out the user's name in Savannah (in this case kuzman); you then
follow: http://savannah.gnu.org/usrrs/kuzman
and you will see his projects in Savannha, among which is java-gnome

> He says that no one ever got back to him about it... He asked me to
> chase the maintainers after a few weeks but I'm affraid that I never
> got round to it (very busy with a new baby and new job).
>

> The Java-Gnome project is a set of Gnome/GTK bindings for the Java
> language and IMHO is vital to the GNU project if Gnome is going to be
> truly succesfull.
>
> In addition to it being useful just to Java people it might be a
> foundation for implementing certain Sun APIs that are non-free right
> now. That will only happen if the Java-Gnome stuff is seen to be
> supported by the GNU project.
>

> Is there a reason why he recieved no answer to his request? or did it
> just get lost?
To see the history of the java-gnome project on Savannah, one must have
authorization to enter http://savannah.gnu.org/admin/ and search for the
project. Savannah's records show that it was approved on July 19th and kuzman
updated the project's info on July 31st (he has not done anything else on it
since then).

In the savannah-hackers list I don't see a copy of a message sent to gnueval
asking for java-gnome to be evaluated, which means that the request was not
sent. Something went wrong; either a forgotten click in the savannah admin
interface, or an e-mail message to kuzman that got lost. Sorry about that;
I've just sent in the evaluation request to address@hidden

> If the latter can we do something to get him included?
>
> His project is currently at sourceforge, here's the URL:
>
>    http://java-gnome.sourceforge.net/
> If there's anything I can do to speed this along please let me know.

> Nic Ferrier
Regards,
Jaime