[Savannah-hackers] address@hidden: virtual hostnames for gnu projects]

From: Ron Peterson
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] address@hidden: virtual hostnames for gnu projects]
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 16:59:27 -0500

----- Forwarded message from Ron Peterson <address@hidden> -----

From: Ron Peterson <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: virtual hostnames for gnu projects
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 21:39:15 -0500

A short while ago, RMS asked whether there would be any issues with
having a virtual hostname to match gnu project names.  I.E. -
FOO.gnu.org, in addition to www.gnu.org/software/FOO.

Maybe.

How should project html files construct URL's?  Say project FOO has
FOO.html, and FOO-credits.html.  How should FOO.html refer to
FOO-credits.html?  A relative URL would work, in both cases, but that
is not the current gnu.org convention.  And how should FOO.html refer to
BAR.html, belonging to project BAR?

----- End forwarded message -----

This discussion never lifted off.  I probably should have escalated it
earlier.

I think this is something we need to resolve before implementing
virtual hostnames for projects.

I think the simplest solution would be to designate one of FOO.gnu.org
or www.gnu.org/software/FOO the *canonical* site, and make all project
links to that URL.  So the project homepage could be found at either
location, but any other project web pages would only exist at one
location.

Else we introduce relative links to gnu.org web pages.  But only for
project pages, when they refer to themselves.  (We don't want
FOO.gnu.org to refer to ../licenses/licenses.html, for example.)  This
seems confusing.

Other suggestions?

--
Ron Peterson             -o)