Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of GeoSync

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of GeoSync
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 09:37:25 +0100

address@hidden writes:

 > Chris Jones <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
 > License: other
 > Other License: GNU General Public License v2 (only, not \"or later\")
 > Package: GeoSync
 > System name: geosync
 >
 > GeoSync aims to add simple IMAP style features to the POP3 daemon gnu-pop3d.
 > The protocol additions will be documented in an RFC when it is finalised.

        Hi,

        Could you please explain why you want GPL v2 without the "or later" ?
The consequences of this choice are many, would you like to discuss them ?

        One of the reasons for adding "or later" is to allow an
upgrade of the GPL license on the versions of the software that are
already distributed (all other means of upgrading the license are
ineffective or very inconvenient).

        Another reason is to cope with the fact that the original
author of the software disapears for some reason (loses interest in
the software, for instance) in which case there would be no way to
upgrade the license at all.

        In the case of the project you propose, the original software
(gnu-pop3d) is distributed with the "or later" clause. Imagine that it
is upgrade to GPL v3 and that your modifications cannot be upgraded to
GPL v3. That will create problems within the software itself.

        Please realize that the choice of upgrading the license is
offered to the user. It is not imposed to her/him. Nothing forces the
user to accept the upgrade : she/he can stick to the GPL v2. Also note
that the GPL itself imposes that future versions of the GPL only
differ in details and that the spirit has to remain the same. Turning the
GPL v2 into something completly different is therefore not possible.

        There is much more to say on the "or later", please let me know
why you think that avoiding it is necessary in your specific case.

        Cheers,