Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of GNUYahoo!

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of GNUYahoo!
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 09:51:33 +0100

M.P.Anand Babu writes:
 > Yes, The package is not yet a part of GNU project.
 > But this project was developed with intention of contributing
 > to the GNU project itself. I used sourceforge.net as my /tmp
 > and when it gets matured I planned to submit to GNU.
 >
 > It is very difficult to change the name of the project at this stage,
 > because through out source and documentation, the name "gnuyahoo" has
 > been referred.
 > I have no problems in changing name, If it conflicts with the
 > naming convention.
 > How do I go about this issue in future, I already have some
 > other projects going on with GNU name prepended. After making
 > them stable, I'm going to donate them to GNU project.

        There probably is a misunderstanding. Being part of the GNU project
does not require you to "donate" the software to the GNU project. It means
your software agrees on a given set of rules, ethics and cooperation with
other software in the GNU project.

        By using GNU in the name of your projects without actually being part
of the GNU project, you lead people to think that you comply to the same rules,
ethics an cooperation. This creates confusion.

        Since you already have projects, I think the best way to go is to
ask for inclusion in the GNU project. See http://www.gnu.org/evaluation/ and
write to address@hidden to apply.

        Cheers,