Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Java Extras Minor

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Java Extras Minor Mode
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 10:09:15 +0100

Alex Moffat writes:
 > I don't understand. The license notice says the GNU
 > GPL comes with GNU emacs. However, I will provide a
 > COPYING file in when I check in the code. The version
 > ot the code available at www.zanthan.com/itymbi/ is
 > not the most recent, so I would not want that put
 > under cvs.
 >
 > I was assuming that I would check into cvs the files
 > once the project was setup, including the COPYING
 > file. If this is not correct please explain the
 > procedure so that I can do what is required.

        The idea is that a distribution needs to be self contained
from a licensing point of view. Hence the need to include the GNU GPL.
We very well understand that these things can be fixed/taken care of
afterwards. But we take the opportunity of the project submission to
help authors make sure it's done properly. As it turns out license
related things tends to be postponed forever because it's a boring
subject. You may want to pick a few projects at random on sf.net and
check the licensing terms. In the vast majority it's not done properly
and in a number of cases there is no license at all, therefore the
software is not Free Software.

        Cheers,