Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of GnuWin32

From: Jaime E . Villate
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of GnuWin32
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 14:25:45 +0000

On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 02:17:30PM -0500, address@hidden wrote:
> GnuWin32 <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: gpl
> Other License:
> Package: GnuWin32
> System name: gnuwin32
> This package wants to apply for inclusion in the GNU project
>
> The GnuWin32 project provides ports of packages and programs with a GNU
> licence. At present it provides ports to Win32 versions of MS-Windows
> (Windows NT/95/98/2000/ME/XP). All ports are compiled with GCC, so that no
> extra licences or proprietary software are added. For the Win32 ports, this
> means compiling with MinGW-GCC (http://www.mingw.org). The aim of the project
> is to make GNU programs available for MS-Windows users.
>
> It already exists and you can see it at http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/

Hi,
I'm sorry but we cannot host your project in Savannah in its current form. I
admire your effort to make GNU programs available to a wider audience and I
think it must be encouraged, but our aim in Savannah is that any project we
host can be used by a user of a completely Free Software system. If after
guaranteeing that a project wants to provide ports for other platforms, that
is OK, as long as the free port works always as well or better than the other
ports.

This means that you should split your project in separate pieces, and each
piece should be contributed to the original packages, or register a subproject
of each original GNU project. We just don't want to have a separate
project that is of no use to only-free-software users, because we feel that it
would encourage the use of proprietary software.

Regards,
Jaime