[Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of XSLT alternative synt

From: alexmoffat
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of XSLT alternative syntax
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 22:23:14 -0500

Alex Moffat <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: lgpl
Other License:
Package: XSLT alternative syntax
System name: xsltxt

This project provides an alternative syntax for writing xslt stylesheets and an
implementation in Java of the new syntax. Converters to convert from the xml
syntax to the new syntax and back, and an implementation of the Java SAXReader
interface to allow direct template and transformer construction from files
written using the new syntax are also provided.

I find the current xml based syntax too wordy for reasonable development,
especially of the sort of \"programming style\" templates, i.e. lots of use of
call-template, with-param etc, that I find I need to write. The alternative
syntax uses indentation instead of explict xml start and end markers and does
some other things to increase the signal to noise ratio when using xslt.

For example

<xsl:call-template name=\"foo\">
  <xsl:with-param name=\"bar\" select=\"$one\"/>
</xsl:call-template>

is written

call \"foo\" (\"bar\":\"$one\")

Currently the code is working for all xslt statements and I have tested by
converting docbook documents to html using the docbook stylesheets, which are
fairly complex. Documentation is provided describing how to use the package and
all of the statements. Example programs that convert stylesheets and
demonstrate applying a stylesheet using the new syntax are provided.

I have not made the code available anywhere yet but you can read some more
\"thoughts\" about it at http://www.zanthan.com/itymbi/