Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of SCM Scheme Implem

From: Aubrey Jaffer
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of SCM Scheme Implementation
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 21:54:22 -0400 (EDT)

 | Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 10:36:11 +0200
 | From: Loic Dachary <address@hidden>
 |
 |      Hi,
 |
 |      I'm a bit confused by the fact that most (all ?) files in the
 | distribution are copyright FSF. Is it a GNU project already or did
 | you assign copyright to the FSF for your work ?

The SCM copyrights were assigned to FSF in 1994 so it could form the
basis of Guile.

So why does anyone need SCM when Guile exists?  I script extensively in
SCM:

  http://swissnet.ai.mit.edu/~jaffer/Docupage/index.html

using its command-line options which are comparable to /bin/sh:

  http://swissnet.ai.mit.edu/~jaffer/scm_3.html#SEC24

The Guile developers replaced this interface.  As a result, Guile is so
hobbled that an interactive Scheme program like JACAL
(http://swissnet.ai.mit.edu/~jaffer/JACAL.html) cannot be run in Guile
from the command line; or even from a stock /bin/sh script!  Instead,
JACAL must build a custom "guile.scm" and load that:

  (use-modules (ice-9 slib))
  (slib:load "/usr/local/lib/jacal/math")
  (math)

SCM runs twice as fast as Guile; and has the hard-won reliability
developed through running thousands of hours of circuit simulations
(http://swissnet.ai.mit.edu/~jaffer/SIMSYNCH.html).

My goal here is for Savannah to host SCM's CVS service.  If SCM's status
as a GNU project is not required for that, then it is of no concern.