Re: [Savannah-hackers] Possible problem with Users Permissions form

From: mathieu
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Possible problem with Users Permissions form
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 19:13:45 +0200

I'm beginning to suspect that it's some issue with memory consumption,
because whenever I display that page, Windows starts showing all kinds
of signs of memory starvation: menus appear without text and no icons,
starting even a small application pops up a message saying there
wasn't enough memory to run it, etc.  Curiously enough, closing that
page seems to release only 2MB of memory, which seems to contradict
the above diagnosis (exiting IE releases 12MB).

This is a Windows 98 box with 64MB of main RAM and 530MB of free swap
space, so memory problems is not something I'd expect.  The system is
quite stable (it runs for days, sometimes weeks on end without being
shut down and without crashing), so system-specific problems are also
a remote possibility.

Are there perhaps any guidelines in Web page design howto's as to the
maximum recommended number of pull-down menus (of the kind you produce
on that page) per page?  Can you perhaps set up a similar page with a
smaller number of menus, so that we could experiment with different
numbers and see whether the problem is indeed related to that number?

Anyway, all I can say about this is ``weird''.  I never saw anything
similar before.  I will try some other browser when I have time.

It really seems to be a MS Windows related bug. Forms use lot of memory but in this case, the only solution would be to set a system that would show only a defined number of lines with a navigation toolbar (since we need to have a form with many inputs). Actually, it could be done but I dont think that there's too many people that want to use time to fix a bug that (seems to) only appears
        - on project with many developpers
        - with MS Windows

The best solution for us and you is probably to :
- try to have access on a box with Free Software OS to do this kind of tasks - tell to others admins of your project to manage this kind of tasks

--
mathieu
* http://humeur.coleumes.org Pourquoi il est vain de combattre le Front National en récitant des faits des années 1930... *