[Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Yainet - Yet Another

From: spam
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Yainet - Yet Another Irc NETwork
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 22:14:17 -0400

John Doe <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: affero
Other License: I will prolly make new stuff GPL V2 or later, as much as
possible.  But the \"old\" ircd code is V1.
Package: Yainet - Yet Another Irc NETwork
System name: yainet

My project features a new kinda ircserver, or a new way of thinking ircserver.
The idea is that instead of having a static net of servers, with opers that
regulates the use, users may run servers instead, and opers will have limited
power, except for local users.  So I want it to be:

- Easy to install (eg. configuration kept to a minimum),
- \"Userfriendly\" (eg. minimize precautions for (ab)users misuse to the
benefit of the users)
- Usefull with existing clients.
- Supportive of servers with dynamic IP\'s.

The idea is that each server has its own policy, eg. server A may choose to
connect B,C,D as HUBs and F as a leaf. B doesn\'t allow HUBs, but has 7 leaf
servers, C has 3 HUBs and 2 leafs and D only has one leaf, that is connected on
her/his lan.

It\'s a kinda userirc, prolly most usefull for people who like to experiment
with servers, but it could develop into a kinda \"underground\" irc.

It does not really exist yet but I\'m working on it.
There has been a testnetwork some years back, based on existing software, but
we ran into trouble, partly because the ircd-software didn\'t fullfill our
needs.

A pre-alfa realease does exist.  It is based on ircnets 2.10.3 ircd.
That code is GPL\'ed. (GPL version 1).

Other Software Required:
It\'s based on ircd.

Other Comments:
I think of adding support for a \"proxy\" that will feature encryption, and
\"fancy\" install programs.  Also I\'d like someone to \"package\" it for
Debian GNU/Linux and other OS\'s.  That doesn\'t have high priority for now
though.