Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of TRAMP (Transparen

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of TRAMP (Transparent Remote (file) Access,
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 10:16:25 +0200

Mathieu Roy <address@hidden> writes:

> You said you would like to move the project to Savannah to facilitate
> integration into Emacs.
> Does it means that you want tramp being part of Emacs ?

Yes.

> If so, have you contacted Emacs admins, saying that you would
> integrate tramp in emacs ?

Richard has said he wants it to be part of Emacs.  Another Emacs
developer (Pavel Janík) has also asked me about it.

> The better way is to put it directly in the emacs cvs and being part
> of this project developpers, no ?

Yes and no.  Tramp can also be used with XEmacs, for one thing.  And
then, having Tramp as a separate package allows me to make releases
independent of Emacs itself.  So I would like Tramp to be available
separately, in addition to being part of the Emacs CVS.

> What do you think about it ?

There are other projects doing something similar.  For example, Gnus
is both part of Emacs and available separately (though Gnus is not a
Savannah project).  CC mode also.

> I let the project registration in the pending queue waiting news from
> you.

What do you think about my reasons?

kai
--