[Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of The Ethel Freenet Nod

From: thelema314
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of The Ethel Freenet Node
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 23:14:38 -0400

Eric Norige <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
Package: The Ethel Freenet Node
System name: ethel

My project is a freenet node.  (http://www.freenetproject.org)  Freenet is a
peer to peer network whose intent is to provide secure, anonymous
communication.  The network balances load and scales better than other
protocols, but its ability to give the first ammendment (of the US) some
technical backup is the main reason it\'s out p2p of choice.

The biggest problem with the current network is that the current implementation
is poorly done, from the choice of language (java) to the style of
implementation.  The protocol is defined by the current implementation, and we
feel that there should be more implementations, forcing the specs to get into
shape to work out any kinks and choices motivated completely by the java
implementation and move to a more language neutral protocol.  Also, the the
stability of the network won\'t be directly connected to a single codebase,
which a bug exploit could disrupt.

Our project will provide a complete replacement for the freenet node
protocol-wise on the network, replicating all expected behavior of the
reference implementation (without the bugs, of course).  It will not use the
same backend structures (config files, datastore, etc) as the reference
implementation, partly so we are free to implement things as they would
naturally be implemented and partly so we\'re not forced to work much harder
than we would have to to be compatible there.

It does not exist yet but we\'re working on it.

Other Software Required:
the ocaml compiler, available at http://www.ocaml.org
make, for automatic compilation

Other Comments:
tabemann and I are going to be the main programmers on this project.