Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Solaris package b

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Solaris package builder
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 12:51:14 +0200

Mathieu Roy writes:
 > Please, Loïc or Jaime, tell what you think of this.
 >
 > To my mind, there is absolutely no need for a free software to run on a
 > free software only OS. But, on savannah, we made the choice to tell
 > users to make sure their software runs also on a free software only OS,
 > just to avoid the promotion of proprietary OS, helping development of
 > software that could lead some people to install a proprietary OS.

        The rationale is rather simple: every software hosted on Savannah
must be usable on a machine that runs 100% Free Software. That includes
the OS. Why should the GNU project provide resources to projects it won't
be able to use because they require non free components ?-)

        There is nothing wrong in supporting other OS, as long as at least
one Free Software OS is supported.

        If there are plans to support a Free Software OS, this is
good. Once it is implemented, the project will be welcome on Savannah.

        Cheers,