[Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Xadrez Chess Server

From: bergo
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Xadrez Chess Server
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 16:56:06 -0400

Felipe Bergo <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: affero
Other License:
Package: Xadrez Chess Server
System name: xadrez

Xadrez aims to implement a Chess Server that

a) is protocol-compatible with FICS (http://www.freechess.org), which
allows playing for free but won\'t release source code, allowing
existing interfaces to be used with this new server codebase.

b) is easily extendable. (so that adding tourney management bots,
chess lecture programs and the like doesn\'t require recompilation
or even server restart)

c) relies on existing database software (PostgreSQL) so we
inherit scalability and reliability from it, instead of
implementing our own DB backend.

A working code base (around 7000 lines in C++) already exists
(not for public download yet) that is usable (allows playing
chess and the crazyhouse and suicide chess variants, and implements
most existing FICS communication/chat features) but
lacks many feature that chess players will find a requirement
(examining previously played games, rating system, and others).

Xadrez was written from scratch, using no code from any other project,
so no license requirements fall over it.

Xadrez depends on the PostgreSQL database, version 7 or later,
and is coded in C++. It should be portable to anywhere
GCC compiles C++.

My intention is to license the code under the Affero General Public License
(http://www.affero.org/oagpl.html), which is a modification of the GNU GPL that
requires that whoever runs the server software provide the source code for the
clients upon request.
This choice is meant to avoid what happened on FICS, where playing is free but
users can\'t even see, much less modify/run the server code.

If Savannah/GNU/FSF decides that the Affero license is not acceptable, I\'m
willing to use the GNU GPL instead in order to get the hosting service (so if
you require it to be GPL, let me know).

I want a place to host Xadrez since I\'ve reached the point where
help from other developers, as well as peer testing/reviewing is wanted.

This software does not exist in downloadable form yet, but I am
working on it.

Other Software Required:
Requires: the PostgreSQL database, version 7.0.3 or later.

Other Comments:
Contact: Felipe Bergo <address@hidden>