[Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of The XML Database Obje

From: xevol
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of The XML Database Object-Oriented Model
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 19:12:30 -0400

David Snopek <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
Package: The XML Database Object-Oriented Model
System name: xmldoom

My project is a database markup language based on XML with a parser written in
Python.  It allows you to write an XML description of the layout of the
database and the parser will automatically generate the code.  By code, I mean
the SQL required to create the database and an object-oriented representation
in the output language and database backend of your choice.  The two target
languages I am working on are PHP and Python, although it should be possible to
extend for any language including: Java and perl.  I also hope to include as
many database backends as possible, but mainly MySQL and ODBC.

The generated code makes it possible to quickly create database applications
because you can deal with the database as a logical set of objects instead of
with raw SQL.  I have written database object architectures like this (by hand)
in the past, and I am tired of re-writting them for new data.  You can simply
describe how all the tables relate to eachother and how the tables connect to
form the objects, and your database interface code will be generated for you.

Currently, I have no URL for you to download the code from (this is why I am
registering the project!).  But here is a break down of the project status:
 * create_database.sql script can be completely generated.
 * PHP/MySQL code generation with a small subset of the features.
 * The beginnings of Python/ODBC, no code can be generated yet.

Thank you.

Other Software Required:
For the main application, it requires only the python interpreter and the PyXML
package (http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyxml).

You do not need anything else to generate the code, but you obviously need the
software to execute the generated code for it to be of any real use.

Other Comments:
While the project is licensed under the GPL, it has the exception that the
generated code is not automatically GPL\'d too.