[Savannah-hackers] Re: [Savannah] blinkd want to be a GNU package

From: debacle
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [Savannah] blinkd want to be a GNU package
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 13:53:10 +0000

Hi Gnus,

On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 05:48:02PM -0700, Free Software Foundation wrote:
> To make your program into official GNU software
> (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/categories.html#GNUsoftware), you will
> first need to agree to follow GNU policies.  This is somewhat formalized,
> because each maintainer of an official GNU package agrees to stand with the
> GNU project on important matters of software freedom.

Both as a mid-term user of GNU software (starting with gcc
1.whatever on Atari ST and later SLS with Linux kernel
0.99.12) and as a Debian GNU/Linux developer, software
freedom is essential for me.

> I have included a brief summary of the major policies with this message.
> For a more detailed description, please read the GNU Maintainers Guide
> (http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain_toc.html) in detail before you agree.

Done.

> If you are agreeable to these policies, the next step is for the program
> to be evaluated for inclusion in GNU.  To do this, I need the following

Agreed.

> things in a self-contained email:
>
>    * A short (paragraph or so) description of the program.

Blinkd is a client/server pair, that lets the keyboard LEDs
blink, indicating things like the number of incoming voice
calls in the voice box or incoming faxes in the spool.

>    * A URL where the source code can be downloaded.

http://packages.debian.org/stable/utils/blinkd.html

I think, that Blinkd conforms to all but one GNU standard:
The documentation consists of two manual pages written in
DocBook (SGML) which are converted automatically to
classical roff -man files.  No texinfo/info yet, sorry.
Help appreciated.

Cheers,
--
W. Borgert <address@hidden>