[Savannah-hackers] submission of The Needle Programming Language - savan

From: neelk
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of The Needle Programming Language - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 09:46:12 -0500

Neel Krishnaswami <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: expat
Other License:
Package: The Needle Programming Language
System name: needle
Type: non-GNU

Needle is a statically typed, higher-order functional, object-oriented
language, with a multiple dispatch/generic function based OO model and a class
system with parameterized classes and type inference to eliminate writing most
type declarations. It is an awful lot like the offspring of a drunken one-night
stand between CLOS and ML. It makes use of a lot of very recent research in
programming language design, which I want to make these innovations available
to people doing scripting style programming. Advanced language design research
is no goo d until it successfully transitions into widespread use, and I mean
to help push some of it into the wild. I\'ve implemented a bytecode compiler
and interpreter, and am planning on giving a talk about Needle at the LL2
language design workshop. I would like to set up a public repository from which
people can download and play with Needle before the workshop begins. Needle
currently has an implementation in Ocaml, but no significant runtime library.

You can download it from <http://neelk.dyndns.org:8080/needle-0.01.tgz>

Other Software Required:
Needle requires the Ocaml language to compile. Ocaml is a free and open-source
functional language available from <http://www.ocaml.org>

Other Comments:
This is a resubmission of the project that Rudy Gevaert asked for, to fix some
license bugs in my package.