[Savannah-hackers] submission of Bayesian Spam Filter - savannah.nongnu.

From: alvherre
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Bayesian Spam Filter - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 15:04:01 -0500

Alvaro Herrera <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
Package: Bayesian Spam Filter
System name: bsf
Type: non-GNU

The BSF (Bayesian Spam Filter) project aims to develop an automatic
filter for SPAM (junk or not solicited email).

The vast common filters for SPAM works with a (big) set of rules with words
that spammers most use in their mail.

A Bayesian filter works with the statistics from your mailbox. It automatically
save keywords from your normal inbox and from your spambox so it determines
whether a new incoming mail is spam or not, using the Bayesian\\\'s rule of
combining probabilities. Check this url for a simple explanation:
http://www.paulgraham.com/naivebayes.html

This approach means: Faster execution (no big list of rules, they are
determined statistically) and better accuracy.

Actually, there are some other similar projects. However, our main goals are:
- Good Accuracy (we hope 95% of effectivity).
- Ease of use for the end user.
- Integration with other MUAs (Mail User Agents like mutt, pine, Gnome
evolution, etc).
- Fast execution.
- Automatic addition/deletion of keywords.

The project is actually in full development in Perl. We are testing differents
algorithms/approach with differents sources of real mail.

Other Software Required:
Perl