[Savannah-hackers] Re: Project eligibility for Savannah

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Project eligibility for Savannah
Date: 09 Nov 2002 23:49:11 +0100

Christoph Reichenbach <address@hidden> said:

> Hi,
>
> I'm the maintainer of FreeSCI (http://freesci.linuxgames.com), a free
> re-implementation of the proprietary SCI engine developed by Sierra On-Line
> Inc.
> Since we've been having trouble with our current mailing list, I'd like to set
> up an account at Savannah; however, I'm not certain if FreeSCI meets the
> requirements
> for this, particularly the part about not depending on non-free software.
>
> Right now, all well-known SCI programs are proprietary; while there has been
> some effort creating fan-made ones, these tend to re-use parts of proprietary
> programs, though (graphics, music etc.) and thus are of questionable legality.
>
> Thus, right now FreeSCI technically (but not conceptually) depends on
> proprietary programs to do anything "useful".
>
> Do you consider this program appropriate for Savannah?

Hi,

You said that conceptually, it does not depends on proprietary
programs. If I understand well, your software interpret SCI programs,
and all of them are currently proprietary.

I do not really know what means technically SCI. Is there specs freely
available that permit creating free SCI programs?

If it is the case, it's does not seem problematic to me. For example,
we would host perl (or another interpreter) despite the fact that no
free perl script exists (if it was the case, but it's not :).

But I'm not completely sure. Jaime or Loic, please give your point of
view.