[Savannah-hackers] submission of Functionals Library for Java - savannah

From: dauclair
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Functionals Library for Java - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 00:14:53 -0500

Douglas Michael Auclair <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License:
Other License:
Package: Functionals Library for Java
System name: lambda4j
Type: non-GNU

My project (theFunctionals Library for Java) brings constructs of functional
programming into the Java programming language system.  Specifically, as I am
required to use Java for some things at my place of work, I find a need for
higher-order functions and first-class functions ... moreso than what the Java
specification provides.

I have implemented some higher-order functions (map/2, fold/3 and fold/2, of
course, and filter/2, partition/2, any/2 and every/2) that operate with a
functional (reified into the Java object system) and either an iterator or a
java.util.List instance, and several other function constructors (identity/1,
complement/1, compose/2, conjoin/2, disjoin/2, curry/2).

Much work needs to be done!  1) Currently I create functionals from a class
hierarchy on the fly by instantiating an anonymous inner subclass -- very ugly,
so I must explore alternative syntaxen (a la Smalltalk or Haskell) on Java
using, e.g., Cup. 2) java.util.List is sadly lacking in features and ease of
use that its counterparts in functional programming languages have (e.g.
Lisp\'s list ... hm!).  I must implement an improved list for the user that
does not violate the contract (interface) of java.util.List.

This is a working set of libraries that I wish to provide to the community.  I
am sure that other functional programmers using Java will benefit from
functional constructs, and other input will help make this project a better one
for the user.

It already exists and you can download the latest distribution at
http://www.cotilliongroup.com/xml-training/functionals-1.0.tar.gz

Other Software Required:
A free software java compiler and runtime

Other Comments:
Douglas M. Auclair, address@hidden