[Savannah-hackers] Circus: A highly modularized python W

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Circus: A highly modularized python W
Date: 12 Nov 2002 22:13:28 +0100

        Submitted Description: Purpose: Circus will be a modularized
        window manager written primarily python. The idea for the
        project grew out of a dissatisfaction with Rep as an extension
        language for an otherwise excellent wm (sawfish). We hope to
        recreate much of the base functionality of sawfish, but
        provide an easier method (python) for users to extend the
        wm. Libraries: To get started we plan to use the readily
        available python-xlibs module and pygtk-imlib. This should
        provide a framework for rapid prototyping of functionality,
        and a common basis for users. We expect to move fairly quickly
        (in terms of versioning) beyond the capacities of these
        libraries. Most likely we will have to extend the xlibs
        library and move the imaging from pygtk-imlib to an imlib2
        wrapper. Design: The core wm program will be an engine for
        manipulating windows within the X-Windows framework. All other
        functionality provided by a modern wm, virtual desktops,
        pager, menus, keybinding, tabs, etc. will be provided as
        modules. This will ensure a clean interface for future user
        added modules. Currently: Several of the modules (menus and
        rootwindow manipulation) are currently functional and will be
        released shortly after we have a place to host them. The first
        useable alpha release is expected at the end of january 2003.

Could you create a tarball with the code as it
now exists and make it available to a temporary URL
(and add this url to your description while submitting
the project)?

We want to help you fix potential legal issues.
For example, in order to release your project under
the GPL you should write copyright notices and copying
permission statements at the beginning of every source code
file, following the advice of
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html

Could you resubmit your project once it's done?
You can resubmit your project with ease by copying
the big re-registration URL provided in the mail
you received  at submission