[Savannah-hackers] Re: Fighting BitKeeper: There is no such thing as a F

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Fighting BitKeeper: There is no such thing as a Free Lunch
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 12:11:40 -0500

    I do not think people who strictly use only free software are irrational.
    However, I do think that people who try to enforce this policy upon their
    surrounding hackers are. If I don't eat pork - that's perfectly fine. If I
    force anyone in Israel not to eat pork - that's using force.

A non-free program is an antisocial scheme, and our aim is to put an
end to that practice.  We often refuse to give our cooperation to
development of non-free software, because we feel it does not deserve
our cooperation.

    I did not use Savannah because it forced all contents of my repository to
    be free software (similarly to what Larry McVoy said with BitKeeper now)
    and because I needed something better than that.

That was noit our loss.  The Savannah team have plenty of work
supporting projects that deserve their help.

    BK is not an alternative to you, maybe, but it is an alternative to the
    many free software developers out there, who want to get their work done.

We hope to change their minds about this question.