[Savannah-hackers] address@hidden: Re: pgi at savannah.gnu.org]

From: Jimmy Kaplowitz
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] address@hidden: Re: pgi at savannah.gnu.org]
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 22:53:39 -0500

I sent this using mutt's reply function to address@hidden The
original message to which I was replying CC'ed address@hidden
Therefore, I am now forwarding my reply to that address as well. BTW,
message delivery to the address address@hidden (expanded from
address@hidden) failed because the "retry time [was] not
reached for any host after a long failure period."

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
address@hidden

----- Forwarded message from Jimmy Kaplowitz <address@hidden> -----

From: Jimmy Kaplowitz <address@hidden>
To: Lord of the Files <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: pgi at savannah.gnu.org
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 22:38:14 -0500

On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 05:41:36AM -0400, Lord of the Files wrote:
> Hi,
> The pgi's project account on savannah seems useless.
>
> The homepage point to nowhere else, the CVS tree is empty,
> the download area too, there is no mailing list hosted.
>
> So the "space given [...]  on this server" is not currently used
> "for the expressed purpose of advancing Free Software" as it should
> be, as explained while at the project registration step.
>
> Is this situation permanent or do you have plans about it? In the case
> of a permanent situation, the project account will be deleted.
>
> Could you give us a statement on the subject?
> In the meantime, you project is hidden to public.

I really apologize for waiting almost two months to reply. I'm in school
now (Brown University in Providence, RI, USA), I've had a stressful,
though quite interesting and enjoyable, time, and as you can imagine
I've had many more pressing matters to worry about. The PGI repository
on Savannah was set up because it looked like PGI was no longer going to
be developed by Progeny Linux Systems, Inc., which created it in the
first place. Very soon after I created the Savannah project, they
quickly clarified that they were not stopping development. (This could
be viewed as a change of mind, or not, depending.) So, I think it had a
useful effect, but it is no longer needed.

It may at some later point be useful to host auxilliary branches of
PGI-related code that non-Progeny people want to hack on (just like
unofficial kernel trees), since the Progeny CVS is not open to all even
for anonymous access. However, there are no plans to do that at the
moment, so go ahead and delete it for now if you haven't already. If PGI
hackers do need it later on, someone will reestablish it through the
usual project registration system.

Contact me if you have any further questions.

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
address@hidden