Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Bayesian Spam Filter - savannah.gnu

From: Rudy Gevaert
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Bayesian Spam Filter - savannah.gnu.org
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 18:28:18 +0100

Hi,

I approved your project but I changed the type to non-gnu because your project isn't part of the GNU project yet.

I have also asked the GNU evaluation team to evaluate your project. But you will have to upload it into the CVS first in order to get it evaluated.

As soon as your project is part of the GNU project you can contact us and we will change the type to GNU.

Happy hacking,

Rudy

address@hidden wrote:
A package was submitted to savannah.gnu.org

Cristian Gutierrez <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
Package: Bayesian Spam Filter
System name: bsf
Type: GNU

The BSF (Bayesian Spam Filter) project aims to develop an automatic filter for
SPAM (junk or not solicited email).

The vast common filters for SPAM works with a (big) set of rules with words
that spammers most use in their mail.

A Bayesian filter works with the statistics from your mailbox. It automatically
save keywords from your normal inbox and from your spambox so it determines
whether a new incoming mail is spam or not, using the Bayesian\\\'s rule of
combining probabilities. Check this url for a simple explanation:
http://www.paulgraham.com/naivebayes.html

This approach means: Faster execution (no big list of rules, they are
determined statistically) and better accuracy.

Actually, there are some other similar projects. However, our main goals are:
- Good Accuracy (we hope 95% of effectivity).
- Ease of use for the end user.
- Integration with other MUAs (Mail User Agents like mutt, pine, Gnome
evolution, etc).
- Fast execution.
- Automatic addition/deletion of keywords.

The project is actually in full development in Perl. We are testing differents
algorithms/approach with differents sources of real mail.

http://www.dcc.uchile.cl/~crgutier/bsf.tar.bz2

Other Software Required:
- perl
- DB_File perl module

Other Comments:
This is the second revision of the contents of the distribution file since the
first attempt to register the project. It should be all in order now :o)