[Savannah-hackers] submission of Babe: A generic data brokering framewo

From: bmatheny
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Babe: A generic data brokering framework - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 15:47:01 -0500

Blake Matheny <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
Package: Babe: A generic data brokering framework
System name: babe
Type: non-GNU

Babe is a framework for doing generic data brokering, independent of the
protocols being used or the data formats being brokered. The framework had the
initial aim of allowing people to do translations between different log message
formats, which would allow people to do more effective correlation of intrusion
detection attempts, or whatever other type of correlation would be needed.
After development started however, we saw that this had a much more widely
applicable use a a general purpose data broker. The current goal of Babe is to
provide end to end reliable brokering of diverse data types, independent of the
transport protocol being used. Included are a language for writing firewall
like rules, so that messages can be translated based on an admins wishes. In
the future, part of this research project will be writing a language for doing
knowledge representation in order to deal with semantic mapping issues that
arise in a system like this. This project already exists, but has been private
release until now, and code was proof of concept mostly. A tarball can be
provided.

This software is currently being used for research by CERIAS at Purdue
University. The infrastructure for doing collaborative software development at
Purdue is lacking, which is why I want to move the project here. The code has
been licensed as GPL from the beginning, so I don\'t believe there is any
problem with moving it here.