Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [Savannah] libidn want to be a GNU package

From: Hugo Gayosso
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [Savannah] libidn want to be a GNU package
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 15:25:08 -0500

Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> writes:

> FYI, libidn is already part of GNU SASL (under the name libstringprep,
> the name is being changed to libidn).  Since it is useful in other
> applications too, I want to release separately as well as part of GNU
> SASL.  I'm not sure if this requires another evaluation as a GNU
> package.  Perhaps it is more work than necessary; I'd be happy to
> release it standalone alongside GNU SASL so libidn need not be a GNU
> project proper.  OTOH it might be useful to have libidn as part of the
> GNU project too, as the standards' libidn implement is likely to
> provide internationalization for many network protocols.

If 'libidn' is already part of GNU SASL, then there is no need to
re-submit for evaluation as gnueval already evaluated GNU SASL, and
RMS already dubbed it a GNU project.

But, in order to 'libidn' be a separate product RMS needs to dub it
GNU and it should be recorded in the 'maintainers' file.

I am copying RMS in this message so he does whatever needs to be done
to make this happen.

[ Original request follows ]:

- --
Hugo Gayosso