[Savannah-hackers] submission of Free Computer-Aided Translation Softwa

From: henri
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Free Computer-Aided Translation Software - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 17:58:19 -0500

Henri Chorand <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
Package: Free Computer-Aided Translation Software
System name: freecats
Type: non-GNU

This project aims to build a free computer-aided translation (CAT) software
which will offer:
- Web-based, multi-user translation memory server updated in real-time (built
on top of an XML server)
- GUI clients for interactive segmentation & translation, legacy translations
alignment, use of terminology databases (will run under Linux GUI/Mac OS X/MS
Win)

Using an XML-based working format (XLIFF), it will include conversion filters
to enable translation of various open & proprietary file formats (XML, HTML,
Open Office & many other, hopefully).
It will be based on open standards (XLIFF, TMX, TBX).

No code has been written yet, but I have begun designing the user interface and
recruiting other developers. We hope to attract a number of free software
developers, because a free CAT software would be a great help for localizing
existing free software & documentation.
This project starts from end-user requirements (translators who want to get rid
of proprietary CAT software, like partially M$-owned Trados) and for which no
free software alternative exists).
The initial design stage is well advanced. You can download its design
documentation at
http://www.kemperdoc.com/freecats/design/Development_Roadmap_0.0.sxw (Open
Office format)

Development tools selected: C++ (gcc), Qt Designer (portable GUI interface)
We also want to build packaged install modules for each targeted environment.

Other Software Required:
We may build our translation memory server on top of Apache/Xindice or eXist
native XML database server.