[Savannah-hackers] submission of The Sphere Operating System - savannah

From: alangrimes
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of The Sphere Operating System - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 17:43:35 -0500

Alan Grimes <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
Package: The Sphere Operating System
System name: sphere
Type: non-GNU

THE SPHERE OPERATING SYSTEM

This project\'s humble goal is to create _THE_ World Domination OS. This is not
intednded to be a toy OS, or some neat trick OS or even a capable
special-purpose OS. It is meant to be _THE_ OS.

My goals are as follows:
1. Destroy Microsoft.
2. Give users (especially me!) something that is truly not Unix nor resembles
unix in any way -- taking the philosophy \"If Unix does A, then it is probably
better to do B.\"
3. Break more rules than would generally be considered possible including and
especially compatability with crufty old C standard libraries.
4. Achieve a near-horizontal learning curve.

The project\'s website is:
http://users.rcn.com/alangrimes/UCE/

Of special note is the design document, \"sphere.txt\" in the same directory.

Other Software Required:
I\'m not exactly sure.
GNU software might infact have the functionality I need but it is many orders
of magnitude too complex/undocumented/crufty for me to use in any meaningful
way.

Other Comments:
I expect the Sphere Operating system will require at least $3,000,000 worth of
effort simply to achieve a beta-ish 1.0 level. Beyond that, it will require at
least $100,000,000 to begin to compete with Micro$oft. I tried to develop a
beta myself but I simply don\'t have the type of mind which can wrestle with
the x86 and the existing tools at the same time. =\\