[Savannah-hackers] submission of FreeSETI - savannah.nongnu.org

From: zeratul2
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of FreeSETI - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 14:40:23 -0500

Robert Millan <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
Package: FreeSETI
System name: freeseti
Type: non-GNU

The purpose of this project is to maintain a free client for the address@hidden
distributed computing effort. For details on address@hidden see
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/.

As explained here (http://www.canonical.org/setiathome/), the address@hidden
official client was released under a GPL license at first, but the authors
decided to switch to a propietary licensing. The latest free release of
address@hidden can be found here
(http://www.canonical.org/setiathome/sh_unix_1_6.tar.gz), but due to protocol
changes it\'s not currently a usable release. So, this project aims to update
the protocol code to what the address@hidden server expects, so that
address@hidden users have the option of using a free version.

I don\'t have explicit permission from the authors to do this, but the GPL
license should grant me the right to do so. I\'d appreciate any advice on this
matter.