[Savannah-hackers] Re: [ 101806 ] Apache SSI

From: Peter Hutnick
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [ 101806 ] Apache SSI
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 02:59:01 -0000

> Support Request #101806, was updated on 2003-Feb-06 16:25
> You can respond by visiting:
> http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?func=detailsupport&support_id=101806&group_id=11
>
> Category: Web
>
> By: yeupou
> Date: 2003-Feb-10 16:01
> Logged In: YES
> user_id=1896
> Browser: Mozilla/5.0 Galeon/1.2.7 (X11 ; GNU / Linux 2.4.21-pre4 i686 ;
> address@hidden)
>
> Can you state in which way it can help you.

Yes.  I have multiple pages.  They all require the same HTML incantations
at the beginning and end.  Furthermore, each page needs the same project
specific stuff (top of page navigation, end of page links, etc.) beginning
and end.  As the number of pages in my site grows it is becoming
increasingly difficult to keep them all "in sync."  It looks to grow from
difficult to nightmarish.

I could, of course, use a local (to me, not the webserver) build system to
create the site a "release" at a time, but that approach is not readily
compatible with CVS.

> An another issue we have to deal with now is the increasing
> number of users. We cannot risk to overload web server.

That's a legitimate concern.  Mod_include is quite light-weight.  It will
expand the httpd's memory footprint just a hair and the increase in disk
and CPU load should be quite manageable.

Is there any info available on what the savannah hosting situation is?  Is
an effort being made to attract funds, or is it just run as a worthwhile
project by the FSF?

Thanks,
Peter