[Savannah-hackers] submission of KFrotz - savannah.nongnu.org

From: leif
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of KFrotz - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 13:57:52 -0500

Leif Huhn <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
Package: KFrotz
System name: frotz
Type: non-GNU

My project, tentatively named KFrotz, will be a complete overhaul of the
interface of WinFrotz 2002 (A Z-machine interpreter used to play old games like
Zork, and newer \"interactive fiction\") to Qt 3 / Qt 2.3 / Qt Embedded / KDE
3.  99% of z-machine interpreters violate newer interface guidelines by not
providing scrollback, or resizable windows (or by providing broken resizing and
scrollback in a strange interface like WinFrotz 2002.)  This project will
provide a much more uniform interface by initially dropping support for
graphical text adventures such as Zork 0.

Currently the project compiles for Qt 3 only, and has only been compiled with
GCC 3.2.  My primary goals are to make the program integrate into KDE and also
work on handhelds running embedded linux, such as the Sharp Zaurus.  Currently
the best palm sized interpreters run on non-free platforms only.

One possible sticking point is the name, which may change.  \"KFrotz\" was the
name of a project in 1998 to port Frotz to KDE.  A search on google returns
only one page making reference to it, and no reference to it has been made on
Usenet since June 1999, according to google.  The source does not appear to be
distributed on the internet any longer.

This project borrows code from WinFrotz 2002, which is under GPL v2, and Frotz
2.43 which is under GPL v2.  The lzz files are preprocessed through Lzz, which
is a non-free (?) utility for generating c++ source headers.  Before the first
release it will be removed from the build system.  If you want to look at the
code, please note that the Makefile is broken!  The source can be found under
http://secure.dkstat.com/~leif/kfrotz.tgz

Aside from a few compilation tweaks, the tarball is Frotz 2.43, except for the
directory src/common which is from WinFrotz 2002, and src/qt which contains my
code and heavily modified portions of Frotz 2.43.  I am also planning to borrow
from Zoom, another GPL v2 interpreter.

Other Software Required:
This program requires Qt 3 currently.  I\'m planning on porting it to Qt 2.3,
Qt Embedded, Qtopia, and KDE.