[Savannah-hackers] None

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] None
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 00:38:53 +0100

Subject: mldonkey currently completely exhausting the savannah server
Date: 07 Mar 2003 00:38:53 +0100

I finally find out why we have so many http connections per minutes.

Apparently, mldonkey clients are trying to get a server list directly
on Savannah.

If not, I wonder about the usage of a "motd.html", "peers.ocl" and
"servers.met" in the project download area, and why so many clients
identified as "wget 1.4" or "MLdonkey 2.02+pango20030306b-29" try to
download them.

Savannah provides to free software project services for project
_development_ , and this is not development but usage.

I wonder why you didn't ask us before using the download area in this
way.

As experts on networking, you cannot ignore how much bandwith and CPU
usage it can consume (https!).

It's absolutely unacceptable.

Next step:
        - a clear explanation
        - suppression of the server list on savannah
        - a public message asking people to stop to try to get server
        list on savannah
        - if it's hardcoded, a new release

To give you an idea, since I fordib access to your download area, load
avg on the server is at 15, decreasing. It was between 75-120 before
- a normal load is under 1. You made the server practically unusable
at all.