[Savannah-hackers] submission of Durito - savannah.nongnu.org

From: ahg
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Durito - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 13:33:24 -0500

Andrew Green <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
Package: Durito
System name: durito
Type: non-GNU

This is a project to create resources for managing documents for research in
the social sciences and humanities.  The tools created will employ Semantic Web
and structured document encoding standards and principles.

The project is called \"DURITO: Documents foUnd, Reproduced and studIed using a
free software applicaTiOn.\"  (The name is not just an acronym--it\'s also the
name of a character in several short stories by Subcomandante Marcos of the
EZLN rebels, in Mexico.)

Regarding the tools to be created: there have been two specific areas of work
so far, each a function of specific projects that I got involved with.  The
first area aimed to create a CD-ROM publication with oral testimonials from the
Mexican Revolution.  That part of the project has more or less ended.  It was
hosted on Sourceforge (see http://durito.sf.net) and, due to circumstances
beyond my control, the prototype version created only worked on Windows.  The
second, currently active area of the project is to create a digital photo
library that will allow the integration of arhives that follow a variety of
divergent catalographic norms.  This second area of the project is based at a
public Mexican academic institution, the Instituto Mora (see
http://www.institutomora.edu.mx).  The tools being created are designed, first
and formost, to work on free operating systems.  (In this sense, the documents
on the Sourceforge site that mention Windows are competely outdated.)

I\'m hoping that Savannah can host this second phase of the project, as well as
any subsequent stages.  I\'m aware that I\'ll be unable to use Savannah to
distribute the old, Windows-only prototype of the first application created.
That\'s OK; that old version isn\'t really going anywhere, anyhow.  I\'m hoping
that Savannah will be able to provide web hosting, mailing lists and possibly
CVS for current and future areas of Durito.  (For a while, I\'ve been wanting
to leave SourceForge due to its excessively commercial nature.)

There is actually a prototype version of the new application, the digital photo
library.  The code is REALLY ugly, and we have yet to get the institution that
legally owns the code to register the copyright and formally release it under
the GPL.  (I wrote the code, but it\'s owned by the Instituto Mora.)  The
institutional commitment to release it freely is there; it\'s just we haven\'t
yet jumped through the bureaucratic hoops necessary to make it so.  This is why
I haven\'t made the code publicly available yet.

Technical description: the current phase of the project involves (1) the
development of a RDF/OWL mechanism for managing catalographic data that
simultaneously follows divergent catalographic norms; (2) the creation of Perl
modules that manage this data; and (3) the creation of a Web interface for
viewing and searching this data.  The web interface is completely XML and XSLT
based, and runs on the AxKit XML Application Server platform.

Other Software Required:
Apache
mod_perl (http://perl.apache.org)
AxKit (http://www.axkit.org)