Re: [Savannah-hackers] cvsweb vs viewcvs

From: Jaime E. Villate
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] cvsweb vs viewcvs
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 18:41:39 +0000

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 11:10:45PM +0100, Mathieu Roy wrote:

> Is cvsweb development stopped? According to
> http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/projects/cvsweb/
> there is still activity.
> Also, the freshmeat account of viewcvs has been modified for the last
> time in January 2002 while the cvsweb account has been modified in
> September 2002.
Freshmeat is a very bad way to find out whether a project is active or not.
You should rather look at
   http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/viewcvs/viewcvs/
which shows changes just a few hours ago.

I think viewcvs is being more actively developed than cvsweb. viewcvs makes
also a better job handling unexpected errors, while cvsweb seems more
vulnerable to them. That's why viewcvs is said to be safer than cvsweb;
viewcvs is also easier to configure. For those two reasons we decided to
migrate from cvsweb to viewcvs in Savannah a couple of years ago. But I must
say that I've not followed the evolution of cvsweb in the last two years and I
cannot say if those reasons are still valid.

Cheers,
Jaime