[Savannah-hackers] Re: Sabotage of AUCTeX

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Sabotage of AUCTeX
Date: 14 Mar 2003 18:09:37 +0100

David Kastrup <address@hidden> said:

> Slowly but surely I am getting pretty desperate about the state of
> AUCTeX since it became a GNU project.
>
> In the course of it, the web site was moved.  I was not actually told
> about it, but just received complaints from my users.
>
> To wit:
>
> a) the old web site <URL:http://www.nongnu.org/auctex> was moved to
> <URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex> along with the contents.  A
> redirection was installed on <URL:http://www.nongnu.org/auctex> to
> the new site.  I have been notified and verified it that by now the
> redirection is dead and just barfs up "Permission denied".  This
> won't do.  The old web site is still prominent in Google archives and
> the documentation in released versions, and the new site has not even
> been announced anywhere.
>
> b) in the context of moving, the download area for AUCTeX was
> shifted to ftp.gnu.org.  I was asked in the original mail after
> AUCTeX became GNU whether I wanted to move to there.  I was not told
> that the move would commence immediately whether I wanted it or not.
> I have been pleading for about a week to get an account on the ftp
> server and what information you would need from me for this (like an
> ssh public key or something).  No reply yet.

The answer is pretty simple. You were asked if you want your package
to be hosted on GNU machines, say ftp.gnu.org.

nongnu.org is already a GNU machine.
It was designed to make a clear distinction between non-GNU and GNU
packages.

Keeping GNU packages on nongnu.org is clearly not an option, as it
would create the confusion we tried to avoid at first.

For historical reason, the question was misleading, because
historically it was impossible to be already hosted by GNU without
the package being already GNU.

> So the move to make AUCTeX a GNU project has by now resulted in a)
> the widely advertised old web site being dead b) AUCTeX has stopped
> being downloadable at all
>
> _Please_ install the redirection from
> <URL:http://www.nongnu.org/auctex> to
> <URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex> again, and _please_ at least
> tell me what information you will need for me to be able to access
> ftp.gnu.org.

address@hidden and address@hidden will handle this.
(this issue does not depend on the Savannah server)