[Savannah-hackers] Re: [Mldonkey-devel] mldonkey and savannah

From: MLdonkey
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [Mldonkey-devel] mldonkey and savannah
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 17:01:49 +0100

>  Hi,
>
>  Paul Dietz said the following:
>
>          By: pfdietz ( Paul F. Dietz )
>           RE: Mirroring? [ reply ]
>          Thu 03/13/03 at 14:08
>
>          Is there any way the mldonkey init file can be reconfigured to
>          crash the client? That would force users to upgrade.
>

>  Is it technically possible?

Sorry for the delay, but yes, there is a way to reconfigure mldonkey,
but it won't crash (it is written in a language where crashes are very
hard to force, unfortunately).

As I told you, mldonkey downloads a file called motd.conf from
savannah, that is supposed to contain some commands to change the
options.

I don't know if it is still useful (the pressure on savannah should
have decrease with the last release), but we can change some options
so that it partially stops trying to contact savannah (at least, it
will not try to download two files), or disable some of its
functionalities so that the user will be interested in upgrading.

But, for that, we need to put these files into the prohibited network/
directory... Note that there is also a motd.html file in this
directory that is displayed at every startup, and that could be used
to tell the users of the old versions that they should upgrade
immediatly.

- MLDonkey