[Savannah-hackers] submission of Fenfire Loom - savannah.nongnu.org

From: b . fallenstein
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Fenfire Loom - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 11:45:45 -0500

Benja Fallenstein <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: lgpl
Other License:
Package: Fenfire Loom
System name: loom
Type: non-GNU

Fenfire Loom is going to be a focus+context editor for the W3C Resource
Description Framework (RDF, http://www.w3.org/RDF). This means that there is,
at any time, a *focused* RDF node which is shown in the middle of the screen;
the nodes directly connected to the focused node are shown around it. The
result is that the graph is shown in a much cleaner way than with a
two-dimensional layout of all nodes in the graph; even with a good layouter,
this can result in a lot of complicated scrolling.

Additionally, Loom is able to show only a subset of a graph, by turning
individual properties on and off; properties which are turned off are simply
not shown. In the future, Loom will support building view profiles, in the
simplest case collections of properties which can be turned on and off
together. This is essential for extracting information from a graph, because it
allows connections irrelevant to the task at hand to be hidden (for example,
rdf:type connections, which give the class of an RDF node).

Loom is part of the Fenfire project <http://www.nongnu.org/fenfire>, but usable
independently of it. We want to make it more accessible to people as an RDF
browser and editor, outside the context of the Fenfire project.

Currently, Loom can only browse, not edit an RDF graph; we\'re going to  add
edit capabilities in the next release (when we\'ve fixed Kaffe to run it, see
below). The current code can be found in the Fenfire CVS
(<http://subversions.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/fenfire/fenfire/>), in the
subdirectories org/fenfire/loom and org/fenfire/util.

Other Software Required:
Fenfire Loom is written in Java. It is intended to run on Kaffe. Currently
there is a bug in the CVS version of Kaffe that prevents the current version of
Loom to run on it; we\'ve reported this bug and are currently waiting for the
Kaffe developers to fix it. -- Unfortunately, there are a number of bugs in the
last released version of Kaffe which prevent Loom to run on it. Before the next
release of Kaffe, we will have to ask users to compile Kaffe themselves.

Loom also depends on Libvob <http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/libvob/> and
Jena <http://www.hpl.hp.com/semweb/jena.htm>.