[Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of tmacs - savannah.nongnu.org

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of tmacs - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: 03 Apr 2003 19:12:35 +0200

address@hidden said:

> r2q2 <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: gpl
> Other License:
> Package: tmacs
> System name: tmacs
> Type: non-GNU

> ;;No Source Kode yet Kiddies
> Tmacs a new version of emacs
>  As every gnu blooded hacker knows \"Emacs is the extensible, customizable,
> self-documenting real-time display editor.\" (from the emacs Manual). This is
> a extremely powerfull editor for the fact of its use of lisp as a extension
> language . The humane environment proposes a new type of environment of which
> is more humane. With the power that emacs is it is somewhat daunting to learn
> every single program because it is a static platform.
>  The plan for tmacs is to make a dynamic version of emacs that can understand
> any *.el file but dynamically load it instead of statically. It will use wget
> to dynamically load the *.el files from emacs as needed. Also it will Part 2
> of the humane interface
>    \" *   A better text search methodology, effective both within a local
> document or system and with respect to extremely large data spaces such as
> the web
>     * A method of eliminating all modal aspects of the basic human-machine
> interface, a method that is readily learned by newcomers and which is
> habituating
>     * An improved navigation method, as applicable to finding your way around
> within a picture or memo as within a collection of images, documents, or
> networks; a method which makes use of inborn and learned human navigational
> skills
>     * A set of detail improvements to some existing mechanisms that make them
> consistent with the goals and principles of the rest of the design.\"
>
> Other Software Required:
> Guile possibly ( I want butter scheme support)
> The Humane Environment ( I have no idea what licence this is released under
> but since it is on sf.net it is on a OSI licence i believe)

Is it a fork from emacs or something completely new?

If it's a fork, did you discuss with Emacs people before? If not,
would you like to do so? Maybe you can contribute to this project
directly. If your goals are too much incompatible, you're welcome to
start a new project on Savannah.

But the most problematic is the fact after browsing 1 minutes the THE
website, I'm still unable to determine whether it's free software or
not (OSI approval is not enough, we accept only GPL-compatible
software - the idea is to keep the ability to mix every projects hosted
here)  but I found out that the only precision is the ability to run
on "Mac OS 9 and on OS X under Classic" which is problematic too. We
only host softwares that can run with a completely free system.

Please register your project once more with the changes/informations mentioned
above.  The way we handle pending projects makes it difficult to keep
track of projects that have been answered but have not been approved
yet, so we erase them and we ask you to register the project again every
time some change has to be done to the registration, and users might
have to register their projects several times.  Thank you for your
understanding.

Some users find it useful to use the big re-registration URL provided in
the acknowledgment e-mail you received after registration.