[Savannah-hackers] submission of Bontz! - savannah.nongnu.org

From: owenswerk
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Bontz! - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 10:14:07 -0400

Owen Swerkstrom <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
Package: Bontz!
System name: bontz
Type: non-GNU

Bontz is a satirical role-playing game stylistically similar to Chrono Trigger
or Final Fantasy.  In terms of content and tone, the game could be described as
Monty Python meets Back to the Future, as time travel is a central theme and
the humor is mostly absurd, sometimes obscure, and full of terrible puns.  :^)

Developed on Linux and designed to run on any unix-like system, windows, and
possibly dreamcast and ps2 later, Bontz uses SDL and is designed from the
ground-up to be hugely modifiable, should a player just want to cheat and
modify his savegame or if another group wants to take our engine, plug in their
graphics, music, maps, and scripts and make their own game, or anything in
between.  That means simple text files (possibly xml later) for scripting,
animation, and configuration data, PNG images for background tiles, characters,
enemies, and menus, an as-of-yet undetermined (but free) video codec for
in-game cutscenes, and ogg vorbis for music and sound effects.

Styled primarily after Chrono Trigger but with 3D-rendered characters, Bontz
plays like a modernized 16-bit-console RPG.  Players travel across huge worlds,
meet many characters and battle many foes, gaining abilities and party members
as the game progresses.  Largely non-linear feeling but with several distinct
story \"branches\", the story takes place across time, circumstances in the
future influenced by players\' actions in the past.

No code is available yet, primarily due to flakiness of sourceforge.net\'s CVS
setup.  Since we ditched QT in favor of straight SDL, we should be 100% clear
of any possible dependancy issues that could inhibit us from putting the
project on Savannah.

Other Software Required:
SDL
possibly OpenDivX or the like, later on