[Savannah-hackers] hardware requirements of Savannah

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] hardware requirements of Savannah
Date: 20 Apr 2003 20:23:17 +0200

I would like to re-raise the issue of Savannah hardware.

1) Savannah RAM is heavily used, as shown by
https://savannah.gnu.org/docs/mrtg.php?i=mem.ram.html
According to
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/perf-tuning.html#hardware
this is an issue, "A webserver should never ever have to swap, as swapping
increases the latency of each request beyond a point that users consider "fast
enough".

2) /home is full at 80%, /cvsroot is full at 70%, /usr was full at 96%
before I moved /usr/src to /audio-video/src.
/usr/subversions take 6.8G and will naturally increase, as we store
here cvs backups .

We should not wait until everything is exhausted to add new
hardware. I do not think that buying a new computer is
required. Buying RAM and a new HD should cost about 200 euros, no
more, and should greatly help us.

So, is it possible? Financially and technically (I never seen the
computer IRL, I do have have the motherboard manual: are there free
sdram slots, can the motherboard support more RAM?).

Aside from that, someone familiar with the /usr/src content (Paul :))
should clean that directly. For instance, keeping
        locales_2.2.5-11.1_all.deb
        locales_2.2.5-11.2_all.deb
        locales_2.2.5-11.5_all.deb
        locales_2.2.5-6_all.deb
do not seems to be useful, but it takes lot of hard disk
space. Keeping only the last package (eventually the previous, just in
case, would be ok).
Also, we should not keep directories where a package has been
compiled, or at least a make clean should be done
        656M    glibc-2.2.5
I will not remove anything by myself during the next ten day, because
it's surely better to let the person that added here these files, take
care of it, to be sure that nothing important will be lost.
But without news/objection until the next month, I'll clean that
directory according to what I said to save space.