Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Slackware Source Repository - savan

From: Rudy Gevaert
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Slackware Source Repository - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 06:55:27 -0400

On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 10:06:54AM +0200, Tais M. Hansen wrote:

> No problem. I was referring to the "Slackware Linux" distribution because I
> thought it was the name. But I've done some checking up on it and it would
> seem that only "Slackware" is a registered trademark. So according to the url
> you sent, Slackware GNU/Linux would seem to be the correct name. It does,
> however, look like the people behind Slackware calls themselves "Slackware
> Linux, Inc."

Linux is only the kernel.  http://www.gnu.org/gnu/why-gnu-linux.html
has an extensive explanation about why calling GNU/Linux GNU/Linux is
so important for us.

> > > Basic makefiles and makefiles for the existing 15 sources are available
> > > via email if needed (16kb).
> > Please e-mail it to me.
>
> It should be attached to this reply. It's a complete tarball of the current
> version.

To release your project under the GPL, you should put
copyright notices and copying permission statements
at the beginning of every source-code file, and
include a copy of the plain text version of the GPL
(http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt).
Put it in a file named COPYING.

Please follow the advice of http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html.

The GPL FAQ explain the reason behind these recommendations.  For
example, there is an entry explaining why the GPL requires including a
copy of the GPL with every copy of the program:
 http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhyMustIInclude

Please send me an updated tarball.

Kind regards,

Rudy