Re: [Savannah-hackers] Mauro Chiarugi

From: Jaime E . Villate
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Mauro Chiarugi
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 17:08:55 +0100

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 05:12:22PM +0200, Mathieu Roy wrote:
>         Hi, i've wrote a math suite for texas instruments
>         calculator. I've just posted here and your response was that
>         it couldn't hosted here because the Texas Instruments OS isn't
>         free software. Now i've seen that there is an emulator
>         (gtktiemu, in my woody debian is in contrib) and i'd like to
>         know if now it should be hosted here. You can find it here
>         (the site is in italian):
>         http://lug.ea.unian.it/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=sracatus_ti92plus
>         thanks a lot!! PS. the license will be gpl
>
> Hi,
> I'm evaluating the project you submitted for approval in Savannah.
> If your software can run with that emulator, no problem.

Sorry Mauro, but you still cannot host your project in Savannah. The gtktiemu
is in "contrib" in Debian, because it won't work unless you install some
non-free software from Texas Instruments:

  From the description of gtktiemu:
  "You need to either dump the ROM of your calculator (you can do so with
  TiLP), or get a ROM from Texas Instrument (see the software section
  concerning your calculator, then download the archive and extract the file)
  to use this emulator. There are *no* ROMs provided in this package, as they
  are copyrighted by Texas Instruments, Inc."

We respect the work you are doing; it is free software and I beleive that you
are providing a good service to the community by developing free software.
However, in Savannah we have made a political decision to provide services
for completely free systems, such as Debian without any contrib or non-free
packages.

I also suggest that when you register a project in Savannah you do not use
your personal name for the project. One of the reasons to use a public server
such as Savannah should be to attract other developers that might want to
contribute to your project. Of course, you can give any name you want to your
project, but I think other developpers will be discourage to help you if the
project has your personal name.

Cheers,
Jaime