[Savannah-hackers] Re: [ 102210 ] phpGroupWare website move to GNU serve

From: Dan Kuykendall
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [ 102210 ] phpGroupWare website move to GNU servers
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 12:42:04 -0700

I actually think thats what Dave meant.

So yes, user-mode linux would be perfect.
I have never used it before, but from what I understand, I wouldnt even notice from where we would be getting in.

Dan

Neal H. Walfield wrote:

       From discussions I had with Norbet (aka nb), a chroot'd jail
would probably suit the needs of phpGW better. Occassionally we need to restart services, upgrade software etc. In order to do this root access is really required. As we have several people who will be responsible for
       maintaining the website, we feel all these people should
       have root access, which would be problematic on a shared host.

Why not consider using user-mode?

user-mode Linux, excuse me.

Everyone can get root access on the
"machine" and it will not endanger the rest of the box.