[Savannah-hackers] submission of Glibc support for *BSD's kernels - sav

From: zeratul2
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Glibc support for *BSD's kernels - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 22:27:23 -0400

Robert Millan <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: other
Other License: patches for the GNU C library should be licensed under the LGPL
and have their copyright assignable to the FSF so they can be integrated in
Glibc when they're ready.

patches for *BSD's sources (this typically means the kernel or its headers)
should be licensed under the modified BSD license , so that they are acceptable
for the *BSD developers and may also be integrated.

Package: Glibc support for *BSD's kernels
System name: glibc-bsd
Type: non-GNU

The purpose of this project is to maintain a set of patches for the GNU C
library to add support for *BSD kernels. The idea is to use it as a repository
for ongoing, experimental work untill we have the necessary technical and legal
(copyright assignments) requirements so that *BSD support can be fully
integrated in Glibc's sources.

At that point, the project might still be useful for bleeding-edge changes,
support for newer versions of *BSD kernels, maintaining a set of patched kernel
headers for every released *BSD kernel version or general discussion of
development issues with Glibc on *BSD kernels.

Some relevant references follow.

Bruno's patches to support FreeBSD's kernel:
  http://www.haible.de/bruno/gnu-freebsd/
Momchill's patches to support NetBSD's kernel:
  http://www.geocities.com/velcok/
My update of Bruno's patches, with some hacks:
  http://people.debian.org/~rmh/gnu-freebsd/patches/pending/glibc/
Working GNU/FreeBSD distribution based on my patched Glibc:
  http://www.debian.org/ports/freebsd/gnu-libc-based

Other Software Required:
GNU C library
FreeBSD's kernel, or NetBSD's kernel