[Savannah-hackers] Re: GNU Speech status: web pages follow-up

From: David R. Hill
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: GNU Speech status: web pages follow-up
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 15:40:51 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003, Rudy Gevaert wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 05:38:41PM -0700, David R. Hill wrote:
> > Dear Gentlepeople,
> >
> > Thank you for your willingness to move things along quickly.
> > Unfortunately, only two things seem to have changed as a result of Rudy's
> > approval is that (1) I now have *two* projects: "Articulatory Speech
> > Synthesis" and "(Name already assigned)" both of which tie into
> > "gnuspeech" as the short name.  The paragraph that I entered describing
> > the new project has disappeared, and both projects have the original
> > description for the "Articulatory Speech Synthesis" project; and (2) the
> > entire 50 megs of software for the project CVS repository seem to have
> > disappeared.  At least, I get null responses when I try any kind of CVS
> > access, which was not true before.
>
> I'll summarize the situation, so you can correct me if I'm wrong:
> - you registered your project some time ago
> - someone set it to private
> - you registered your project again under a different name
> - I approved your project:
>      * I couldn't find any project "gnuspeech"
>      * I did find the sources
>      * I assumed that somebody just uploaded the sources
>      * I approved your project and set the location of the files to be
> placed in /cvsroot/gnuspeech/.  Where the original sources are.
> - Yesterday the sources were public.
>
> Because your original project has been set to private I couldn't find
> it through the search on the website.  I didn't think about private
> projects. Sorry about that.
>
> Do not worry, your sources are still on savannah!  Your project was
> available yesterday because when a project gets "made" the permissions
> are set ok.  But because the first project was set to private I must
> have changed (cronjob I think).
>
> Matthieu, Jaime or Loic: what is the easiest way to fix this?
> I would suggest to remove the newest project and to update the
> permissions of the first registered project.

---
Matthieu wrote 04 Jul 2003 18:03:39 +0200

[snip]

I would follow your suggestion.
A fine chmod in /cvsroot/gnuspeech would do the job.

[snip]

 --- end matthieu's email ---

I can access the CVS repository again, but it all still appears to be
restricted to people authorised to access via cvs commands.  Access via
the savannah web pages does not seem to be public (15:15 PDT)

> David: it would have been easier that you knew your project was set to
> private, and asked us to update the permissions :)

Ah yes!  It would be easier for everyone if I were able to
pin-point the cause of the problems and explain what went wrong.  Sorry
about that.

What *are* the real implications of "private" and "public", apart from the
obvious idea that only authorised project members can access "private" but
"public" ought to be accessible by anyone who knows the URLs?

When the project was originally set up, the question of public access was
discussed and I simply went along with what was decided, not necessarily
understanding all of the consequences.

Still working on my ignorance :-)

drh