[Savannah-hackers] Re: Submission of Z80 assembler - savannah.nongnu.org

From: B. Wijnen
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Submission of Z80 assembler - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 00:03:47 +0100

Hello,

Licensing under the "GNU GPL v2 only" is problematic.
Would you please agree to license under the "GNU GPL v2 or later"?

I understand your position, however I have a problem with it: If for any reason GPL v3 or later would limit the freedoms of the end-user, most likely because it becomes like the BSD license, I do not
want to use it for my program.

I trust the FSF as it is now very much, and I am sure the GPL will not be like this anytime soon. But I don't know what will happen in the (far) future. I think it is a bad idea to make a habit of licensing code with this clause, because removing it when the FSF would become less trustworthy may be forgotten. And anyway, all program versions
until the removal would fall under the new license.

These two things (not wanting to sign a blank contract, to be filled in later, but wanting to allow good license changes to be made without the need of contacting all developers) are a big dilemma for me. I have read the GPL v2, and I think the good side of things (having the changes in the license for the code when v3 comes out) will not be large (because v2 is exactly what I want, so if v3 is good, it will at least be like it). However, the potential bad side of things (licensing BSD style) is very large. For that reason, I would like to license it as
version 2 only.

I would be happy to add a clause to allow version 3 or later, on the condition that certain parts of the license are not changed in the newer version (or better, that certain rights are still (not) given). Let me know if that would be acceptable, in that case I will write such a clause and send it to you for approval. If there is such a clause which is suggested by the FSF, then I would like to hear about this, so I can
see if it is acceptable for me.

Thank you,
Bas Wijnen