[Savannah-hackers] submission of Lemur OLAP Open Source Library - savann

From: lemire
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Lemur OLAP Open Source Library - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 12:31:22 -0500

Un projet a été soumis à savannah.nongnu.org
Ce courriel a été envoyé à address@hidden, address@hidden

Daniel Lemire <address@hidden> a décrit le projet comme suit :
Licence: gpl
Autre Licence:
Paquet: Lemur OLAP Open Source Library
Nom système: lemur
Type: non-GNU

Lemur OLAP Open Source Library

http://www.daniel-lemire.com/lemurOLAP/

Goals

To our knowledge, there is no low level OLAP library implementing Hybrid OLAP.
There is Mondrian which is a great Java-based ROLAP engine, but we believe that
a smart C++ HOLAP implementation could outperform Mondrian.

To be fair though, the primary goal of this library at this time is to support
our research interests since our goal are probably too ambitious to deliver
timely usable code. We do envision though that the library could be used soon
for some niche applications.

Licensing

GPL, of course.

Who are we?

The project is lead by Daniel Lemire, researcher at the National Research
Council of Canada, and Owen Kaser, associate professor at the University of New
Brunswick (Saint John).

Where's the source?

You can download our C++ source package. It runs under Linux though it could be
ported A recent compiler is assumed (gcc 3.2.2). It is licensed under GPL (even
though, currently, there is no such notice in the source code).

http://www.daniel-lemire.com/lemurOLAP/lemur_code.zip

Suitability

As of now, the package is not suitable for commercial usage and is of early
alpha quality. However, it was succesfully used in a research context (see
Kaser and Lemire, DOLAP'03). There is some level of regression testing, but we
are still designing the API.

We have setup a demo site where you can use the code through a web interface to
prove that it does work.

Dépendances logicielles:
 It runs under Linux though it could be ported eventually, a recent compiler is
assumed (gcc 3.2.2). Currently, it is very minimalist though it is written in
C++ and, as such, it requires C++ support...

We plan to use libraries such as an embedded MySQL and BerkeleyDB in the
future, but we would ensure that we can do so while remaining compliant with
GPL.

Autres Commentaires:
I believe this may be the first ever C++ OLAP engine to be GPL.

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/