[Savannah-hackers] Looking for Research Data

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Looking for Research Data
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 21:04:54 +0100

Savannah-hackers,

Dan is requesting some stats. Is it ok to find and publish these?

I also have some comments. Feel free to add yours:

We at Savannah are part of the Free Software movement, which is different from the Open Source movement in its goals and values. Please do not make the confusion.
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html

I do not think we can measure the number of new releases per year in a free software/open source context: since the software is Free, often developers offer read access to the current version of their project, or make very frequent releases (it is one element of the 'bazaar' model). Releases with a new major version number denote project code rehandling more often than marketing events, unlike in proprietary software context.

Last, I am not sure patents are accurate in this issue; copyright may be. Moreover, software patents are not tolerated in a lot of countries, such as the ones that are part of Europe, which makes the argument inadequate there.

--
Sylvain

Dan Bayn wrote:
Hello,

I'm researching an article to test the notion that profit motive (as provided by patent law) leads to higher rates of invention. I hope to be able to compare the per capita rate of patent applications and/or product releases between companies like Microsoft and Open Source meccas like Savannah.

Can you point me to a source for the following data?:
- New Releases per year,
- New Projects per year, and
- Total Users per year.

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, --Dan Bayn