Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Mathomatic -

From: Elfyn McBratney
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Mathomatic -
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 21:08:57 +0100

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 01:44:39PM -0500, address@hidden wrote:
> A package was submitted to
>

> George Gesslein II <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: lgpl
> Other License:
> Package: Mathomatic
> System name: mathomatic
> Type: GNU

Your project is not yet part of the GNU project, so your project will
be hosted at nongnu.org.

If your project is accepted into the GNU project, it will be migrated to
gnu.org.  You can do this by asking us.

> Mathomatic is a small, portable symbolic math program that can automatically
> solve, simplify, differentiate, combine, and compare algebraic equations,
> perform polynomial and complex arithmetic, etc. The C source code is available
> at "http://www.panix.com/~gesslein/am.tgz"; for a UNIX/Linux version. This is

"Linux" is just a kernel of a more complex system that we like to refer to
as GNU/Linux, to emphasize the ideals of the Free Software movement.

Would you mind changing references to Linux as an OS to GNU/Linux?

For more information, see http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html.

> a console mode application that compiles and installs easily. It was written
> by George Gesslein II and has been under development since 1986. The current
> version number is "10.7d".

The following files in the source tarball do not have LGPL permission to
copy statements:

  am.c
  cmds.c
  complex.c
  diff.c
  factor.c
  integrate.c
  list.c
  main.c
  parse.c
  simplify.c
  super.c
  unfactor.c
  am.h
  externs.h
  parse.h
  proto.h
  primes/around.c
  primes/twin.c
  primes/sumsq.c
  primes/primes.c

Also, the following files make references to "Linux":

  makefile
  changes_old.txt
  README.txt
  source.txt
  manual.htm

Would you mind changing references to Linux as an OS to GNU/Linux?

Also, can you apply the proper permission to copy statements to the file
java/MathSupport.java as explained in the section
"How to Apply These Terms to Your New Libraries" of the LGPL?

Currently, the last section is missing, and only mentiones www.gnu.org as
a source of license information.

After you fix these problems and provide us with a new tarball, containing the
fixes, your project can be accepted.  Until then, your project will remain
pending.

--
Elfyn McBratney

PGP Key ID: 0x456548B4
PGP Key Fingerprint:
  29D5 91BB 8748 7CC9 650F 31FE 6888 0C2A 4565 48B4