[Savannah-hackers] Re: [gnu.org #206952] GPL compatibility

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [gnu.org #206952] GPL compatibility
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 00:28:59 +0200

Thanks again.

I have a last question: I adviced the author with several possibilities, including adding a notice allowing linking his GPL program with MAPM.

I found such a notice from project OpenSSL:
http://www.openssl.org/support/faq.html#LEGAL2

However, I would like to confirm Scicalc's author could use a similar notice to allow his GPL program to use MAPM. I do not 100% trust this FAQ, since I find assuming that OpenSSL is part of the operating system is a weak argument.

The GPL FAQ contains a similar statements, but aimed at communication between two libraries through a given interface.

Meanwhile, the author is also trying to talk MAPM's author into releasing it under a GPL-compatible license.

--
Sylvain

On 2004.07.28 08:26 address@hidden via RT wrote:
On Tue, 2004-07-27 at 10:31, Sylvain Beucler via RT wrote:
> > The Gnuplot license (no relation to GNU) says the same thing.  We
feel
> > that the license does permit the basic freedoms that the FSD
requires.

> > You *can* modify the software, and distribute your modifications
--
> > you just have to distribute them in a funny form.
>
> Actually I have another question: is this license compatible with
the
> GNU GPL (and thus can be used by Scicalc)?
> I have the feeling the answer is no..

Unfortunately, the license is incompatible with the GPL.